We left Oeiras harbour at 12 o’clock 3/9-2015 and was waved goodbye by Heike and Herwig Worlddancer2 (with family) on the cay. Hope to see them next year in south Caribbean. At 12:10 we hoisted the jib.  The swells were very high and it took some time before we got used to them. The wind was between 20-30 knots. Passing Cabo Espichel at 15 h. At midnight we finally get a sight of the moon behind dark clouds. At 04 h we rounded Cabo de Saao Vicente in darkness and half an hour later we rounded Ponta de Sagres. The two “Rock Protrusion”  looked firs-full in the dark and we had planned to pas them in daytime but we sailed to fast with jib only.

The wind disappeared so we started the motor at 7 o’clock when the sun got up. 08:19 the 4/9, 121 Nm sailed, we were moored at the reception cay and at 9 o’clock on the F-bridge with the help of to Dutch sailors. There were several boats with ARC flag mooring on the bridge. Some of them are waiting for crew to come from Sweden and The Netherlands. A walk to the Chandelier shop and  a Pingo supermarket was to overcome that day. In the evening we were luckily surprised to get a visit from the crew of Infenito, Sigmund and wife. They invited us on a guided tour by care, to the protruding rocks and up the Monchique mountains, the next day. After a good meal of Piripiri chicken we were soon back in the harbour downloading beautiful pictures.

Next day 6/9 we had to wash deck and cockpit. In every harbour we had seen men using tremendous amount of fresh water washing there boat at any time and we had not once since we left Denmark done that. The more dirty the more rewarding it is to enjoy sitting in the cockpit after it has endured such a ruff treatment. Airline tickets to Denmark from Grand Canaria in October were bought and we were feeling good with the fought of seeing the family and friends soon. A walk to the beach near the harbour, “Meia Praia”, and to a Pingo Supermarket, washing cloves, get the radar to work (Lars and Kristoffer) and a few pictures to this site (Lars) was also on the schedule for this day.

7/9; Tuesday the 8/9 were the perfect day to sail to Madeira so just one day left in Lagos and we had not seen the village jet so that would be today. We took the harbour bridge over to the other side of the river and the centre of town. We saw the beautiful ring-wall, beaches with rock and caves and I, finally, got  a crepe with ham and cheese and nice salad. In the evening Pingo shopping, homepage and cocking and preparing for the longest tour yet, Lagos to Maderia.


2 thoughts on “Lagos

  1. Eva Borgh

    Hej Maria och Lars!
    Det är mycket intressant att följa ert äventyr. Måste erkänna att jag inte förväntade mig detta när jag hörde talas om er resa. Jag blir onekligen både imponerad och avundsjuk på allt ni ser och upplever i land fast jag skulle absolut inte vilja vara med på båten utom möjligen när det är vindstilla eller svag vind. Hoppas ni får ut ännu mer av fortsättningen och att ni njuter av barn och barnbarn på “hemresan”

    Kram Eva
    Bim hälsar

    1. Maria Hammer Post author

      Tack Kära Eva för dit inlägg. Jo det är fantastiskt. Europa är härligt! Trodde inte att jag skulle njuta av nattsegling! I morgon seglar vi vidare till Grand Canaria och Las Palmas som är slutmålet i denna omgång. Där skall det jobbas på att göra båten färdig att segla med fem personer ombord i cirka tre veckor. Den 22/11 är det så starten på ARC (Atlantic Rally for Cruiser). Vi glädjer oss mycket till att se sönerna, Jeanne och Oskar med flera till Oktober. Kram till er båda Maria


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *